Our mission is to improve the UK’s mental health by creating on-demand access to therapy. We believe that people should be able to speak to a therapist of their choice immediately, conveniently, privately, and in the medium of their choice.
Dreams to Realities is now offering clients live, confidential one-to-one cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) with a therapist via instant messaging on a computer, tablet or smartphone. Skype, FaceTime, Text and Phone sessions are also available.
All DTR therapists are members of Cosca (Scotland) or British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies (BABCP) and are trained in providing online therapy.
In relation to instant messaging and text, the therapy sessions are in a written format, so you can review them at a later time.
DTR’s services are available to anyone with common mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety, pain management, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), phobias and stress.
Due to DTR’s therapists being Samaritan and Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trained (ASIST) this service may also be of benefit to clients who are having thoughts of taking their own life.
How do I access it?
Online via www.dreamstorealities.co.uk either request a callback or book a consultation, you will then receive an email with full details and instructions before being matched to a suitable therapist. One of our therapists will then message you to introduce themselves and arrange your first appointment. You should get access to a therapist within two days.
As this is a new service, there is an opportunity for clients to experience a free 20-minute consultation of our new services.
DTR therapists will be as flexible as possible and arrange appointments at a time that’s convenient for you, including evenings and weekends.
How much will I have to pay per session?
The initial one-hour assessment will be £75.00. All subsequent counselling and CBT sessions with a DTR therapist are £50.00 per hour. A block booking discount is available on request.
Payment of sessions.
DTR’s bank details will be sent prior to the sessions – All client sessions must be paid for before commencement of the session.
Some evidence to support the effectiveness of online therapy.
- Online therapy has been proven to work just as well, and in some cases better, than traditional, face-to-face therapy.
- Online therapy is just as effective as offline therapy at beating depression, and it was more effective than offline therapy at reducing depressive symptoms in the 3 months after the initial study.
Other studies on online therapy showed that:
- Internet-based cognitive behavioural therapy helped reduce symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with effects that lasted until well after the treatment had ended.
- 495 clients assigned to either live video counselling or in-person care showed equal rates of recovery.
- Therapy through writing with a counsellor was particularly effective for clients suffering depression and was used to computers.
- Clients choosing online counselling saw hospital visits drop by an average of 25%.
Accumulated evidence shows that online therapy can be effective in treating areas of child psychiatry, depression, dementia, schizophrenia, suicide prevention, post-traumatic stress, panic disorder, substance abuse, eating disorders and smoking prevention.
In support of the growing evidence that online therapy works are the fact that people are generally more willing to self-disclose online than face-to-face, also known as the online disinhibition effect.